A Middle-Aged Man, his wife, and two children died after reportedly inhaling poisonous fumes from generating set at their residence in Nkwele Ezunaka, near Onitsha, Anambra State.
The deceased man, a trader at Onitsha Bridge Head Market, had planned a surprise package of moving into a new apartment for his wife who put to bed a few days ago.
A family source said it was the same night they moved into the apartment to celebrate the newborn baby and the mansion together that the incident occurred.
The source said: “The entire members of the family were enjoying themselves when suddenly there was a power outage. The man had to put on the generating set stationed at the veranda close to the bedroom.
“The celebration continued into the night before they all slept off and didn’t remember to put off the generating set.
“The next morning, a friend who was supposed to join them in the celebration but was unable went to felicitate with them only to discover that the doors were locked with the generating set still on.
“After knocking continuously without response, he alerted other neighbours who forced the door open and saw the lifeless bodies.”
Meanwhile, the wife and one of the daughters were still unconscious when they were rushed to Borromeo hospital but later died after efforts to resuscitate them, including fixing them on oxygen failed.
“It was only the 4-day old baby survived without any crisis which raised more curiosity on the circumstances of the death of others,” the source added.
Manager of St. Charles Borromeo Hospital, Onistha, Rev. Fr. Izunna Okonkwo confirmed that only the new born baby was in stable condition when they reached the hospital, while other four had already died before arrival to the facility.