The body of ex-Chelsea and Newcastle winger Christian Atsu has been found dead in the aftermath of the earthquake in Turkey.
Atsu’s agent, Nana Sechere, confirmed and disclosed this on his Twitter handle, as reported by Sky News on Saturday.
He wrote, “It is with the heaviest of hearts that I have to announce to all well-wishers that sadly, Christian Atsu’s body was recovered this morning." My deepest condolences go to his family and loved ones.
“I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their prayers and support.
“I ask that while we make the necessary arrangements, everyone would please respect the privacy of the family during this very difficult time."
Aged 31, the Ghanaian player, according to Sky News, had been misidentified and falsely reported as hospitalized last week following the earthquake, which killed more than 45,000 people.
Atsu spent eight years signed by Premier League clubs, including Chelsea, Bournemouth, Everton, and Newcastle.
He moved to Turkey last September, signing for Antakya side Hatayspor on a one-year contract.
Atsu’s Turkey-based agent, Murat Uzunmehmet, told reporters that the player was found beneath the rubble of his home in southern Turkey.
He said, “Atsu’s lifeless body was found under the rubble." Currently, more items are still being taken out. "His phone was also found."
The deceased is survived by his wife, Marie-Claire Rupio Atsu, and their three children.
Be first to comment